|1|| Enfamil A.R Lipil Milk-Based
Infant Formula Thicken
|View On Amazon|
|2||Similac Advance Infant
Formula With Iron
|View On Amazon|
|3|| Enfamil Prosobee Soy
Infant Formula Powder
|View On Amazon|
|4|| Similac Sensitive Infant
Formula With Iron
|View On Amazon|
|5|| Enfamil A.R Baby
|View On Amazon|
Looking for a formula that will reduce the frequency of spit-up for your baby and still supply them with nourishing nutrients?
Do you need a product that will be gentle on the developing tummy of your little one and promote soft stool?
We have put together 10 best formula for spit up and gas reviews to make it easy for you to settle on the right formula for your baby.
The Most Recommended Formula for Spit Up: 10 Best Formula For Spit Up Reviewed
- Enfamil A.R Lipil Milk-Based Infant Formula Thicken with Added Rice Starch
- Similac Advance Infant Formula With Iron For Stage 1
- Enfamil Prosobee Soy Infant Formula Powder With Iron
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula With Iron
- Enfamil A.R Baby Formula
- Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
- Nutramigen With Enflora LGG Baby Formula
- Similac For Spit-Up Non-GMO Baby Formula – Powder
- Similac Expert Care Alimentum Baby Formula
- Enfamil A.R Baby Formula Powder In Reusable Tub
Baby Acid Reflux Or Spitting Up
Acid reflux, also known as spitting up, is a normal condition in babies. The condition is characterized by food backing up from the baby’s stomach.
This causes the baby to spit up the food that refluxes. Although healthy infants will experience acid reflux several times in a day, the condition becomes less common as the baby grows older.
Provided your baby is content, healthy and growing well, you should not worry much about this condition. It is rarely serious and is not likely to be a sign of an underlying medical problem.
However, in case you notice frequent vomiting, discomfort or difficulty in feeding, you should seek medical attention.
The Causes Of A Baby Spitting Up Or Acid Reflux
Although the exact cause of acid reflux is unknown, several factors contribute to the condition. It is important to remember that spitting up occurs in infants, mostly after feeding.
- Immature lower esophageal sphincter – at the base of the gullet is a ring of muscle identified as the inferior esophageal sphincter. This muscle opens and closes to allow food into the stomach and to keep it there. Since the muscle is not well developed in infant, contents of the stomach may flow back when it opens. This will result in the baby spitting up.
- Diet – depending on the age of your baby, certain foods may result in this condition. For instance, foods such as tomato products and citrus fruits may trigger the production of more acid in the stomach. Other foods such as chocolate and those with high-fat content will cause the LES to remain open for longer. This gives the contents of the stomach a chance to reflux.
- Narrow or short esophagus – when the esophagus is short, food from the stomach will have a shorter distance to travel towards the mouth. This will increase the chances of a spit up. There is a good chance that a narrow esophagus will be easily irritated, a factor that could lead to a spit up.
- Positioning – the position in which you place your baby both before and after feeding may result in acid reflux. Rather than placing the infant in a horizontal position, you should hold them in an upright position. It is recommended that you maintain the upright position for between 20 to 30 minutes after feeding.
- Gastroparesis – gastroparesis is simply delayed emptying of the stomach. To move food into the small intestines, the stomach usually contracts. If the stomach muscles do not work properly, the result will be a delay in emptying the stomach. This may result in food flowing back into the esophagus. Gastroparesis is unlikely to occur if your baby is healthy.
How To Help Babies With Acid Reflux?
There are some steps that you can take at home to help your baby when they experience acid reflux. Most of these measures are simply lifestyle changes.
- Increase the frequency of feeding – chances of acid reflux are higher when the stomach is too full. This is why you should reduce the amount of each feed while increasing the frequency. In case your baby is breastfed, it may be important that the mother changes her diet. For formula-fed babies, you may want to look for the best formula for spit up and gas.
- Make breast milk or formula thicker – once you have obtained the approval of your pediatrician, you can add infant rice cereal to breast milk or formula to make it thicker. Thicker stomach contents will reduce the possibility of food flowing back into the esophagus.
- Change the bottle and nipple size – in case you bottle feed your baby, you should ensure that the nipples you use are filled with milk during the entire feeding session. This will help to avoid air gulping. You should also go for nipples whose holes will allow just the right amount of milk to flow through at the required rate.
- Burp your baby more often – regardless of whether you breastfeed or bottle feed, it is important to burp your baby frequently. For breastfed babies, burping should be done when they pull off the nipple. Bottle-fed infants should be burped after every two ounces to help in addressing reflux symptoms.
- Change the baby’s sleeping position – the best position in which to put your baby while sleeping is on their back and on a firm mattress. Any other sleeping position has been shown to have a high risk of sudden infant death syndrome. Lying on their back will help with reflux symptoms.
- Medication and surgery – in case these lifestyle changes do not help in addressing the problem, your pediatrician may recommend that medical interventions be used. This may include medication and surgery.
What Are The Best Formulas For Spit Up?
With the important role that diet plays in causing and treating acid reflux, it is important that you feed your baby the right formula. There are different formulas in the market, a factor that makes it necessary to do research before buying.
The Most Recommended Formula For Spit Up: 10 Best Formula for Spit Up Reviews By Sujana Marie
Below we have compiled 10 reviews of some of the best formula for spit up and gas to make it easy for you to reach a decision when shopping for the right formula for the baby.
1) Enfamil A.R Lipil Milk-Based Infant Formula Thicken with Added Rice Starch
This baby formula contains added rice starch that is easy to digest. The entire formula mixture is designed to reduce the chances of your baby spitting up after feeding.
When you feed the baby this formula, it will flow down their digestive system smoothly and stay in their stomach without flowing back.
This is because the formula is made to thicken further once it gets to your baby’s stomach.
In addition to being good for helping in acid reflux, the formula will ensure that your baby gets balanced nutrition for proper brain and eye development.
2) Similac Advance Infant Formula With Iron For Stage 1
The Similac Iron-fortified and the milk-based baby formula contains a blend of nutrients to nourish the brain and eyes for proper development of your baby.
The formula will also help to support the immune system of your body as well as help to build stronger bones. Designed for baby in the first stage of development, the formula is nutritionally complete.
When it comes to helping with acid reflux symptoms, research has shown that the baby formula reduces spit up frequency by about 54%.
This makes it a good formula to feed babies who experience the condition frequently.
3) Enfamil Prosobee Soy Infant Formula Powder With Iron
The soy-based Enfamil formula is designed to reduce fussiness and gas that is commonly associated with cow’s milk.
It is plant sourced and contains soy proteins that will benefit your baby for the first 12 months of their life. The fact that it is plant sourced means that it is a good option for families that prefer plant based diets.
Apart from being a great alternative for babies who are sensitive to cow’s milk and ensuring the healthy development of the infant, the formula is gentle on the developing tummy of your little one.
Feeding your baby this formula will promote social, cognitive and communication.
4) Similac Sensitive Infant Formula With Iron
This formula contains an exclusive blend of important ingredients, none of which is genetically modified.
Some of the nutrients your baby will benefit from are Vitamin E, Lutein and DHA, some of the important nutrients found in breast milk.
While DHA supports brain development, Vitamin E supports developing cells and Lutein promotes eye health.
Some of the other nutrients in the formula will also make the immune system of your baby stronger.
The milk-based formula is easy to digest and will go a long way in helping to relieve fussiness and gas in your little one.
5) Enfamil A.R Baby Formula Review
The Enfamil A.R is another milk-based formula that has been found to reduce spit ups in babies by around 50%.
The complete blend of nutrients found in the formula will help to support the digestive health of your child.
Since more developed digestive systems will result in less frequent spit ups, this formula addresses the symptoms quite effectively.
The formula is designed to flow easily through standard bottle nipples and is suitable for feeding babies up to 12 months old.
Regarding nutrition, the Enfamil A.R is more nutritionally balanced than formulas that have rice cereal added to them.
6) Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula Review
This is a stage 1 formula that can be used by babies from birth up until the time they are 12 months old.
The product contains comfort proteins that are gentle on the tiny tummy of your baby and are easily digestible.
The small proteins are meant to promote soft and comfortable stools. It also features a carbohydrate blend that contains 30% lactose.
The carbohydrate blend helps to deal with fuzziness and gas after feeding your baby.
By helping to retain the beneficial bacteria in the digestive system, this formula is an effective solution to colic, helping to address digestive issues in babies.
7) Nutramigen With Enflora LGG Baby Formula Review
This Nutramigen formula contains broken-down proteins that are easily digestible and hypoallergenic. The product is also designed to help increase your baby’s tolerance to cow’s milk.
It contains probiotic LGG, which is responsible for building an oral tolerance to cow’s milk and allowing your baby’s tummy to tolerate the milk at an early age.
Also, the hypoallergenic proteins in the formula make it possible to manage colic. This means that the formula can help you to deal with gas, sleeping problems, and frequent crying.
When you feed your little one this formula, they will be supplied with the necessary nutrients for proper brain and physical development.
8) Similac For Spit-Up Non-GMO Baby Formula – Powder
This Similac formula powder will help your baby in three major ways. The product contains important nutrients such as DHA and ARA, nutrients that promote the development of the eye and brain of your baby at this critical stage of life.
The formula also helps to reduce the frequency of spit-up in babies, with studies showing that it can reduce frequency by about 54%.
When you feed your baby the lactose-free formula, it will help to reduce fussiness and gas.
The formula achieves all the three functions while still ensuring that your baby has the balanced nutrition they need to grow healthy and strong.
9) Similac Expert Care Alimentum Baby Formula Review
This is an iron-fortified, hypoallergenic nutrition formula that helps in managing colic and reducing sensitivity to proteins.
The result of the formula will become evident within 24 hours of formula-feeding your baby. Besides the nutrients for brain and eye development, the formula is made up of oils.
These oils can be easily absorbed into the body of your infant so that they can promote their healthy growth and development.
Your little one will also benefit from an exclusive blend of carbohydrates, nutrients that help to maximize absorption while reducing the risks of malabsorption.
Lastly, the nutrition formula is gluten-free and palm olein oil-free.
10) Enfamil A.R Baby Formula Powder In Reusable Tub
With spitting up is a common phenomenon in babies whose digestive systems are still developing, this formula can reduce spit up by more than 50%.
It also supplies your baby with the nutrients that they need for healthy growth and proper development. This makes it a great product for babies who have spit up several times in a day.
The Enfamil A.R formula contains all the essential nutrients that infants need as they develop from birth to when they are 12 months old.
It also gives you the convenience of enjoying the benefits of rice cereal without any hassle.
So, Which Is The Best Formula For Spit Up?
Based on the compiled reviews and considering ways to help babies with acid reflux, the best formula for spit up and gas is Enfamil A.R Lipil Milk-Based Infant Formula Thicken with Added Rice Starch.
The formula not only contains added rice starch but is also easy to digest. One of the features that make it stand out is the fact that it is designed to thicken further once it reaches your baby’s stomach.
This helps in preventing stomach contents from flowing back into the esophagus. The product is also nutritionally complete to aid in the growth and development of your baby.