|1|| Hamilton Beach Brands |
40614 Coffee Percolator
|View On Amazon|
|2||Farberware Classic Stainless Steel |
8-Cup Coffee Percolator
|View On Amazon|
|3|| Farberware Stainless Steel |
|View On Amazon|
|4|| Presto 6-Cup Stainless-Steel |
|View On Amazon|
|5|| Cuisinart Classic 12-Cup |
|View On Amazon|
Coffee is a necessity for me in the mornings and I can’t just drink one cup.
Whether you a making a pot of coffee for many people of just one cup for yourself, you will need a way to make the coffee.
If you are looking for a great tasting coffee then you should look into a percolator.
If you are looking for the best percolator then you have come to the right place. With many brands such as Farberware, Presto, Cuisinart, and Hamilton Beach it can be difficult to determine which offers the best percolator.
That’s why we have researched and compiled the buying guide so that you can easily choose the best percolator and we have even included the Top 5 best percolator reviews to assist in making the right decision.
- What Is a Percolator?
- What Makes the Best Coffee Percolator the “Best”?
- How Big Is the Capacity?
- What Kind of Coffee Will You Be Brewing?
- What Will the Percolator Be Used For? Single Servings? Gatherings?
- Can It Be Used for More than Just Coffee?
- How to Choose the Best Percolator?
- Stove Top or Automatic
- Make and Design
- Ease of Cleaning
- Speed of Percolation
- Which one Is the Best Percolator?
What Is a Percolator?
A coffee percolator is a type of pot that is used for the complex brewing of coffee. It works by continually cycling the boiling brew through the grounds using gravity until the required strength is reached (Wiki, 2016).
Percolators expose the coffee grounds to higher temperatures than other brewing methods, which results in a wonderful aroma and more robust coffee.
What Makes the Best Coffee Percolator the “Best”?
It is important to choose the best percolator that will fit your needs.
Is clean up important?
Does it matter how many cups of coffee it can make?
Can it even be used for other things besides coffee?
No need to stress because there are many different percolators available to fit anyone’s needs.
How Big Is the Capacity?
The bigger the capacity the more coffee that will be produced. Look for one that can serve up to 12 people because that will offer more cups for about the same price as the smaller percolators. Also, check to see if the percolator comes with a barrier between the coffee grinds and when the coffee will be poured out of.
Related: Best Home Espresso Machine
What Kind of Coffee Will You Be Brewing?
There are many different types of coffee to choose from, but when using a percolator there are certain kinds that work better with percolators.
It is better to choose a medium roast with percolators because the dark roasts can end up tasting bitter when they go through the percolator.
Choose a stainless steel percolator because it will be able to keep the coffee warm longer and you will be able to keep up with how hot you want the coffee to be.
Medium roasts maintain their flavor when they are percolated.
What Will the Percolator Be Used For? Single Servings? Gatherings?
If you are going to use your percolator for camping choosing a medium sized percolator that comes with a plastic handle, instead of a metal handle.
Choosing one with a fill line can make the water measurement easy and one made of stainless steel will be able to take abuse when hiking. If you are looking to use your percolator for just a couple of cups of coffee, try a small percolator.
One that will make about four cups and a smaller one will be easy to clean. If you will be using a percolator for large gatherings then an automatic percolator will be easier and quicker.
How Strong Do You Want Your Coffee?
Some people actually prefer percolators over automatic drip coffee because they can brew rich, full bodied coffee that is full of flavor.
When using a percolator one has the power to control how long the coffee percolates, which will affect the flavor and strength of the coffee. This is why a stovetop percolator would be the best choice.
Related: Best Coffee Maker Reviews
Can It Be Used for More than Just Coffee?
Finding a percolator that can be also used for tea is an added bonus. Most percolators can be also used to brew tea. Choosing a smaller percolator would be best for this multiuse.
How to Choose the Best Percolator?
Choosing the best percolator really depends on your wants and needs. Most people either love them or hate them. Percolators are great because they make good, hot, and strong coffee that can meet any coffee lover’s wants.
If you are wondering how to choose the best percolator then the following points will be helpful.
Stove Top or Automatic
Stovetop percolators are very easy to use and even easy to clean. The downfall is that they are difficult to regulate when it comes to temperature.
When the stovetop percolator is done, all you have to do is take it off the stove. Some of the automatic percolators have a “warm” setting and that can burn the brew.
Make and Design
It is always a good idea to read the reviews when it comes to the different makes. Some people use filter paper disks to prevent the grounds from seeping through, and some use a coarser grind, but that can cause loss of flavor.
Ease of Cleaning
The automatic percolator may be faster and easier to heat up, but will not be as easy to clean, since it is electric. The stove top can be easily cleaned with soap and water and some even dishwasher safe.
Speed of Percolation
Determining how fast you want your coffee in the mornings will determine if speed is important.
Questions to ask!
how long it takes to come up in temperature, when it switches in percolation mode, how long before the brew is ready?
This may be a deciding factor when choosing a percolator.
The Most Recommended Percolators: 5 Best Percolators Reviews
Below we will be discussing the top 5 best percolators and some of their pros and cons.
1) Hamilton Beach Brands Twist Lid Coffee Percolator
This fast brewing coffee percolator keeps the coffee hot and is made out of stainless steel. It is plastic/metal and has a cool to touch handle with twist off lid locks.
- Comes with a ready to serve light indicator
- No drip spout and stainless steel filter basket
- Water level viewing window to know when it is full
- Over time the glass lid can get cracks
- The lid doesn’t sit properly due to the locking bumps
- Filter basket is a little large
2) Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 8-Cup Coffee Percolator
This eight cup percolator is stovetop friendly and is made of heavy duty stainless steel, which makes it sturdy and durable.
- Comes with a plastic knob to let you know when the percolating begins
- Comes with a permanent filter basket
- Dishwasher safe and fully immerse
- Quality assurance guaranteed
- Lid is cheaply made & breaks after a few uses
- Black tarnish comes off easily when cleaned
- The knob has been known to break off
3) Farberware Stainless Steel 2-4-Cup Percolator
This percolator is created with a strong stainless steel construction and it carries a detachable power cord, making it automatic. It provides simplicity because it is a one-step brewing process.
- 1000 Watts for making four cups
- Comes with an automatic warm mode
- Power cord is detachable
- Cool to touch handle
- Does not automatically shut off
- Heating element prone to failure
- Does not keep the coffee warm for a long period of time
4) Presto 6-Cup Stainless-Steel Coffee Percolator
This percolator makes great tasting coffee and fast.
It brews two to six cups in the stainless steel construction using 120 volts.
- Comes with a ready to serve indicator light
- Detachable cord for easy moving
- Drip free spout for easy serving
- Not good for making large portions of coffee
- Produces black residue in the water after time
- The inside is made of aluminum
5) Cuisinart Classic 12-Cup Stainless-Steel Percolator
This Cuisinart creates 12 cups of coffee in the stainless steel percolator. The water gets piping hot and can be served from anywhere.
- The cord is detachable for easy movement
- Built to North American Electrical Standards
- Has a stay cool bottom for safety reasons
- Can leak due to the plastic bulb
- The percolator does not last very long
- Chemical residues after use
So, Which one Is the Best Percolator?
The best percolator is the Hamilton Beach 40614 Twist Lid Percolator, Stainless Steel, 12-Cup. If you are looking for a fast and easy percolator then the Hamilton Beach one is the best choice.
This percolator is made out of stainless steel and does not have aluminum on the inside.
If you are in a hurry and want a delicious fresh cup of coffee or have many guests who want coffee the Hamilton Beach 40614 Twist Lid Percolator is the right one for the job. Easy viewing window and easy serve spout is helpful for no spills.
We hope that our buying guide for choosing the best percolator and the 5 different best percolator reviews were helpful. If you are looking for a two cup or a 12 cup they have many different brands and sizes.
We appreciate if you would let us know if you have any comments and if you would share this on social media.
- Best Single Cup Coffee Maker
- Best K Cup Coffee Pods]
- Best Coffee Urn To Brew The Best Coffee
- Top 4 Cup Coffee Maker Reviews
- Best 2019 Canadian Pharmacy